Friday, February 13, 2009

-21

-21. It's a countdown. My system. While I consider myself at times to be very creative, I don't look forward to creating new and interesting titles for blogs for the next, well, however this endeavor may last. So, I've decided to number my posts. And, since preparation for this trip will not be massively interesting, I've set a goal. One per week. Therefore, the system is also informative. I have 21 weeks until I leave. I know it will fly by.

And, I was unsure what to write about this week, as nothing seemed to be of importance - that was until my phone rang this morning. The voice on the other end informed me of an event I will not likely enjoy in Egypt - snow day. This may be the first of lasts I'll experience for a while, and while otherwise insignificant, it did get me thinking. With lows in the winter averaging 45F, I won't likely get unexpected weather vacations due to snow. I'm making sure to enjoy this one!

I'm still in the initial stage of realization about this next big undertaking in my life, and often find myself in a state of excitement and exhuberance about it. But, certain things are beginning to illustrate the reality of this change and reinforce the gravity of my decision: a letter of resignation required by the school board (which I find oddly ironic, since I am technically employed only year to year, and have not officially "signed" for next year anyway - a logical incongruity I overcame by writing instead what I considered to be a letter of intent stating I officially did not plan to sign again next year, a sublety in language and an exercise in logic I hope others can appreciate from me); an article written in the Waverly News; an appointment at UNL's health care center do discuss possible Hep. A, Hep. B, updated tetanus, and other immunizations; and the arduous grind of paperwork to prepare for the job. Those of you who know me know I'm really looking forward to the paperwork! In all, it is starting to sink in. I'm leaving.

On other fronts, I'm beginning to organize and plan for my leaving. In the process, I've realized that I've inherited what I can only believe is Great Depression influenced behaviors from my family. I've always known I've had a reluctance to throw anything away, and at this point am attributing my behavior in part to that. I know if I ever need a twist-tie from a loaf of bread, I have only to visit my father's kitchen, or the kitchen in our Colorado cabin and I will find many left over from my mother and my grandmother - two people who seemed very adept at reusing all sorts of materials.

As I'm cleaning out my closets, I'm realizing this attitude - combined with the good fortune of being the last in the family to receive the "hand-me-downs" - has afforded me the ability to hoard quite a lot of clothing. It's odd to me that I've accumulated so much, because I still often wear the same clothes as I did in high school, and go shopping for clothes only once every 3-4 years. Even then I spend very little on those shopping sprees. So, how I amassed the amount of clothing I currently have is strange. Nonetheless, most of it's going. I'm having a hard time parting with some of the classic convenience store t-shirts, the Kitty Karyall shirt from high school, the running shirts from Ralston mini marathon that stand for something (I think), and other favorite memory laden items.

But, as I keep telling myself, it's just gotta go.

On other notes, I'm attempting to help this blog be more informative in other ways. I've added some items on the left for your use. Most work easily and I'm sure you will see the benefits of them. But, I'm having difficulty with the calendar, where the idea is you will be able to add items on that calendar when it's up and running. The reason: I want visitors. Hopefully I can get it figured out soon. I will use the calendar to maintain my schedule and breaks, and if anybody wants to visit during a break, I welcome the company. You can indicate your plans by posting to the calendar. And, I'm hoping that if some friends post on the calendar they are planning a vacation to Egypt during any certain break, that others may see the plans and join in. The more the merrier!

Scuba diving in the Red Sea is only hours away, and it provides some of the best in the world. Alexandria and the Meditteranean Sea are also only hours away to the north, and there are beaches and resorts all along the coast. I also plan on seeing the Aswan Dam and the Nile river along the way to the dam. Other vacations destinations are abundant and easily accessible - that's one of the biggest advantages Egypt had over other locations. I'm up for suggestions.

In short, I welcome visitors it you are willing to come.

Long post for a day I didn't think I had much to talk about. Now, I better get back to my snow day!

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment