Tuesday, July 20, 2010

One year down

I understand my blog posts seem to be adhering more to a Fibonacci number series than to a system of someone who cares, but it was a crazy end to the year. Sorry if I have left you hanging.

After returning to NE and hearing people reference this blog as someplace they are indeed seeking out for updates, I am going to try to check in at least monthly. We'll see how it goes.

One of the perks of working overseas is the possibility of catching a tax break from the U.S. government. If you meet a few requirements, there can be an advantage for me.

So, at the advice of my accountant, I am leaving. Next stops - Ireland (10 days) and after 24 hours in Cairo, Tanzania.

Home is home, and it was great to be back in NE for a short stay. I wish I could have seen more of my friends/family, but it is what it is. Those who I was lucky enough to have met for breakfast, lunch, second lunch, etc. it was really great to catch up.

It's funny, almost everything here seems to be about the same as I remember from year ago, except that everyone's children are getting bigger. Other than that, Amigos is still strangely deliciously greasy, many people in Nebraska still wear red despite there not being a football game for a couple of months, and spiky haired punk rock girls still take out their angst on cheap guitars on main street in Breckenridge. (Yeah, hammer strumming through simple chord progressions while singing "When the sky falls on uh-uh-uss...)

So I'm off. This is short b/c I am slow in packing, will likely forget something, and have to leave in about 15 minutes. It's been fun being home, but it's time to go.

Hopefully will report back soon,

Scott

18 comments:

  1. Hey, glad you are still alive. Good thing I was sitting down when I saw that you had posted. Since, as you say nothing here changes I live vicariously by reading other peoples blogs so thanks for the update - hope you made your plane

    Kathy J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding, the Three Amigos is a classic flick!

    Bartender: We don't have beer. Just tequila.
    Ned Nederlander: What's tequila?
    Bartender: Uh, it's like beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, simpleton...Amigos is a "Mexican" restaurant in Lincoln, NE...however, I will agree watching Three Amigos in an amusing two hour diversion...however, it pales in comparison to a much giddier classic in Major League...."Run Like Hays Catch Like Mays".

    They should have done a sequel with that movie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey monkeypunch...1970 called...it wants its life back. They made a sequel to Major League. It was on par with the sequel to Caddyshack II.

    So, back to the issue of Lincoln lacking good Mexican food. You know what's really tasty??? Papusas! That's what we need a real Mexican papuseria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. I guess my blog has now reached what I'll (unfortunately) call "internet legitimacy" as we are having a verbal spar, complete with anonymous posts calling one another out. Funny thing is, I think I know exactly who the two offenders are by the names they are using...monkeypunch and simpleton? :D

    I think the real question is what is more authentic...the film titled "The Three Amigos" or the restaurant we love and call "Amigos." Both seem to me to be about as Mexican as I am. In fact, I think I should rethink my name for this blog...maybe I should be "the adventures of Amigo Foster - in Egypt."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I know exactly who posted under the cognomen, Scott Foster!

    As for authenticity...it has to go to Amigos restaurant.

    http://www.amigoskings.com/menu/

    It's really an urban legend that chilaquiles, chile rellenos, tortas, tacos, carne asada, carnitas are real Mexican food...Tots, burgers and nachos are much more commonplace South of the Rio Grande.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My recollection of Amigos is that they had warm nacho cheese on their salsa bar. Are there any foods the world over which nacho cheese do NOT compliment? Can't think of any.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hot Nacho cheese on sneeze and serve buffet bar? Sounds like a petri dish of bacteria for the nacho libre...

    Nachoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

    No gracias!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nacho libre signifies freedom of cheese! Do you really think Revenga died at the hands of Tony Montona for quelling the liberation of nacho cheese in communist Cuba?

    Nacho gratis would be a better way to describe the free goop at Amigos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. By way of resting in the fresh open air of the buffet bar the cheese has been liberated from it's steel industrial sized can.

    Libertad! Libertad! Libertad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously? How can one think of being swept from the security of a large vacuum sealed can and dropped into a disgusting salsa buffet bar as a form of liberation?

    It's more like a public execution.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good one! Like Amigos would take a vat of processed cheese and execute it Kim Jong Il style with swift and vindictive justice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey ninja, there's your answer...nacho cheese does not go well on Korean food. Can you imagine dipping some Kim Jong Il adored fermented pickled cabbage into some sloop goo of nacho cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ninja??? I'm more of a mixed martial artist!

    ...and I wasn't the one who claimed nacho cheese goes good on anything. It's like you're taking me for some sorta processed cheese whore!

    Needless to say, the only thing that goes good with anything is beer. Cold beer. Light beer. Dark beer. Wheat beer. Domestic beer. Imported Beer. Ales. Lagers. Pilsners. IPAs. Pints of Beer. Pitchers of Beer. Shots around the Clock of Beer. Beer Bongs. Hour of Power Beers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beer sucks on cereal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. C'mon Beercakes and Beereal are two great ways to start the day!

    ReplyDelete