Saturday, September 12, 2009

6

We had a long weekend, so six of the teachers from Hayah Academy, myself included, traveled to Sharm El Sheikh to go scuba diving.

You can quickly find it on a map, but it's on the southern tip of the Sinai peninsula, and the diving is pretty good there.

I've included some photos in the top gallery on the left.

We stayed in the "Dive Inn" and for $17 per person per night, it was a steal. I might start going there to hang out for kicks. (The bus ticket each way was $15, and it's 8 hours away.) So, for $65 or so (plus incidentals), I can stay at an incredibly nice hotel near the Red Sea, and lounge at the pool - one of the best relaxing pools I've ever been around. It was not what I'd call swanky or anything, but it was the most laid back, easy going environment. Add 90-100 degree pure sunny days, and the pool was refreshing and warm.

I forgot to add their complementary breakfast is an all you can eat buffet. I ate 3 omelettes, 3 crepes, 2 yogurts, fruit and veggies, many slices of bread with jam, coffee, tea, and more...I think I might have eaten $17 worth of food at any rate. Diving leaves one with a pretty strong appetite.

It was a much needed break from the routines of Maadi.

As I've had many times before in Egypt, I had a brief feeling of guilt. Growing up in Nebraska, I always figured life was supposed to be hard work. I still fell the same way, but I live in a pretty cool place.

Sorry it's a short blog. Since school hasn't started still, so I hate to say there's not much to report.

And anything else I could include would pale in comparison to the trip to Sharm.

I missed the Pius Invite cross country meet today. This only means the Waverly Invite is next week. I'm hoping everybody runs well.

Keep in touch,

Scott

2 comments:

  1. Well we have H1N1 here at Wav - no big deal so far. Weird to think we just passed mid quarter and you haven't had a chance to start yet. Just a few more days and you will get to meet with your students - that will make life more interesting for sure.

    Told you I was a pathetic blog addict

    Kathy J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well at least you're having fun while waiting for school to start, here in Waverly we've already had two confirmed cases of the swine and the huskers had the virginia tech game in the bag but somehow they got a lucky pass and won it. But anywho i like your pictures, looks like beautiful country over there and the first issue of the Hi-spot is coming out within the next two days printer pending.

    -Steven

    ReplyDelete