Tuesday, September 1, 2009

4

I don’t know if it’s truly fear, or a case of an overcautious state, or something else, but Egypt is an interesting place at the moment.

We were scheduled to start school on Sunday, August 30th. But President Mubarak, not the secretary of education but the president of the country, suspended the opening of all Egyptian schools until after Ramadan.

The most common reason we were given: swine flu.

So, if it’s fear of a pandemic, it’s too bad. Earlier this year, all pigs were ordered to be slaughtered, despite the fact that most experts contend that pigs don’t actually carry swine flu.

Now, schools are postponed almost a month – not being allowed to start until after Ramadan. I guess swine flu is less contagious then.

Our first day is now Saturday, September 26th.

Now, I can see if swine flu catches hold Egypt will have a mess. I would not think there’s as strong an ability to respond and control a massive outbreak of the flu – there would likely be a pandemic to deal with. So I’m cautious in being critical of any decision. They must know what they are doing.

But all the same it’s disappointing. There is a huge need for education here, not just at Hayah, but at all the public schools as well. To be delayed another month in beginning the year is disappointing. I am ready to get going, and it’s unfortunate that we are in this position.

So, I find myself continuing to find ways to occupy my days. Sure, we go to school and do staff training day after day, but it’s not teaching. And it’s Ramadan, so we go home at 1:30 every day. This leaves me with 10 hours or more each day with slack time, and I’m definitely not used to it.

And I’m reminded that while small amounts of fear can be helpful and good, when one has too much of it it can be crippling.

So our students got an extra 3 weeks of leisure. We’ll make up about 5 days by doing some 6 day weeks, but that’s it.

Teachers, of course, don’t get extra time off. In the end we’ll work more days. And, the last 5 were (and next 10 appear to be) excruciating. I may delete this post later, if I hear anyone here is following it, but as of yet I think I’m safe. I’m keeping a very positive working face here – I have to I’m new – but you are hearing the truth. It’s awful. For instance, yesterday, we spent the entire day playing games – scavenger hunt to learn the campus, and then games like tag in the gym and other elementary school PE activity games. Sure, I know some of the staff a little better, but it was 5 hours of PE. AND THAT WAS IT. I didn’t set foot in the classroom, didn’t spend a minute discussing vision or planning, not one academic thought was required of me the entire day. I’m not saying I wasn’t thinking, but I could have been absent and nothing would have been lost; rather much could have been gained. It was rough and depressing to me as a professional.

I know it’s not the norm – everyone is scrambling to figure out how to absorb the massive blow. But oh well, it is what it is. Looking at the rest of the group yesterday, I was actually at least thankful that I like to play stupid games like tag. Seeing a bunch of Ramadan starved (fasting) and sleep deprived women in Hijabs trying to engage in physical activity was a bit surreal, and at least I have that memory going for me as well. I can’t imagine what they are writing in their blogs this week!

To boot, I don’t have ready access to internet yet. I’m oh so close at my apartment, and school is completely down – has been for over a week. This makes training even more difficult for the administration and planning a bit tougher for teachers.

So, I guess I’m continually reminded of one undeniable fact. While it is very interesting here, it’s definitely third world. I especially am moved to see how easily people take bad news – I can truly see it’s more the norm than not. Things aren’t supposed to happen easily; they just don’t.

I used to think it funny that everyone said “En Shallah” all the time. “God willing.” Then, I got a little upset about it. I’d say, see you at our 10:00 meeting, and people would reply, “En Shallah.” I’d say please be here to fix my toilet tomorrow at 10, and the reply, “En Shallah.” I tried to explain NO EN SHALLAH – be here at 10. But now I see I will not win this battle. Life kinda happens like this.

So, that’s all for now. I’ll hope to report better or more interesting news next week – En Shallah.

Scott

6 comments:

  1. Scott, think of this as an opportunity to show them how Coach DeLoach taught you how to play warball at St. T's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,
    In light of the delay, it sounds like the administration is scrambling for things for the teachers to do everyday. PE like activities seem fairly easy to plan and organize. Maybe they would be open to someone(you) hosting a forum discussion daily on more professional topics, to eat up some of the time they are trying to fill.

    If all else fails, Blob Tag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foster,

    you can always tell them you have a fun new great game to try, hide and seek. Tell them they all have to hide you will count to 100 and try to find them. Tell them if you don't find them by 1:30 you all get to go home like normal. Would be some free time for you "trying to find them" :).

    Fritz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out the Journal Star's Pius stories about the number of kids there out with swine flu. We just soldier on. Although I must say that the use of hand sanitizer in my room the other day just about drove me out with the fumes!


    Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry the Pius kids are coming down with the swine flu. I think the government here would suggest it's because the Catholics are the ones who handle the pigs, which are the dirtiest of animals, and since it's called the swine flu...

    I hope everyone there is okay.

    There's a rumor we won't start school until November. For now, it's only a rumor. Who knows. I'm going to the gym again for another one hour session. Maybe it's on free throw shooting?

    ReplyDelete